- News & Media
Ferrero is a premier sponsor of NIAF. Learn MoreApply for a Free Trip to Italy through the Voyage of Discovery
- Grants & Sponsorships
- The Russo Brothers Italian American Film Forum
- NIAF Fulbright Partnership
- Youth Programs
- Government Affairs
- Fauci Fellowships
- NIAF Relief Efforts
- NIAF in Italy
- News & Media
- Join NIAF Today
- Contact Us
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Elena Isella | NIAF
The all-expenses paid trip designed for college students to Italy is
endowed by Ambassador Peter F. Secchia
(Washington, D.C. – November 10, 2022) The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) is excited to announce applications are now open for the 2023 Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery program. For more than 20 years, the Voyage of Discovery has been providing Italian American college students who have never been to Italy a trip to discover their heritage every summer. The carefully curated two-week trip includes cultural tours and a day of community service throughout the National Italian American Foundation’s Region of Honor each year.
“Thanks to the generosity and commitment from Ambassador Peter F. Secchia’s endowment, the Voyage of Discovery will be launching two back-to-back trips with space for 24 eligible students (a total of 48) next June,” said NIAF Director of Special Programs Gabriella Mileti. “Each trip will begin with four days in Rome, following a tour throughout NIAF’s 2023 Region of Honor.”
Voyage of Discovery is the cornerstone program at the National Italian American Foundation. For the first time, affiliate organizations will be able to send a qualifying student from their organization.
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 23 at the time of travel (June 2023)
- Must be a full-time student enrolled in a college or university for the semester preceding the trip (Spring 2023)
- Must be of Italian descent and have never traveled to Italy
- Must be a NIAF member
How to Apply:
- Apply online at https://www.niaf.org/programs/voyage-of-discovery/
- Only online applications will be accepted. Applicants are also required to email a transcript, resumé, and two written recommendations on letterhead from a teacher, school official, or a political or community leader.
- Deadline to apply is Tuesday, January 31, 2023 (11:59 p.m. PT)
- Applicants will be notified via email Wednesday, March 1, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. PT
- Accepted applicants must confirm via email by Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 5:00 p.m. PT
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to preserving, promoting, and protecting the Italian American heritage and culture. To learn more about the Foundation and become a member, please visit www.niaf.org.