- News & MediaCLOSE
- NIAF New York Gala 2024
- NIAF Evening with the Azzurri
- NIAF 48th Anniversary Gala
- NIAF New York Gala 2023 Review
- The 47th NIAF Anniversary Gala in Review
- Government Affairs Events
- Upcoming Events
- NIAF Virtual Events Calendar
- Past Virtual Events
- Events Archive
- Italian American Scholarship Database
- Grants & Sponsorships
- NIAF Fulbright Partnership
- Youth Programs
- Government Affairs
- Fauci Fellowships
- NIAF Relief Efforts
- NIAF in Italy
- Preserve the Art of the Neapolitan Nativity
- News & Media
- Join NIAF Today (OLD PAGE)
- Contact Us
What is the NIAF Congressional Fellowship?
The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) Congressional Fellowship Program places outstanding Italian American college students and recent graduates in offices of members and associates of the Italian American Congressional Delegation (IACD) to educate and support the next generation of Italian American leadership.
Upon acceptance to the program by NIAF and a successful interview with a Congressional office, NIAF will award fellows with a stipend of $1,000 during the course of their fellowship. Fellows will have the opportunity to participate in exclusive NIAF Government Affairs Program events. While interning on Capitol Hill, the sponsoring Congressional offices help our fellows to network and make valuable professional connections both in Congress and in the greater DC public affairs community.
The Italian American Voice
This fellowship serves as an opportunity for first-hand experience in public service for the next generation of Italian American political leaders. Fellows will learn about the legislative process, issues facing Congress, and the operations of a Congressional office while working for an Italian American leader who has climbed the ladder of public policy success.
NIAF is a nonpartisan not-for-profit organization and serves as the premier voice for Italian Americans in Washington, D.C. The Foundation works closely with Congress, The White House, the Department of State, the U.S. Embassy in Rome, and the Embassy of Italy in Washington to promote Italian American heritage and serve as a bipartisan educational foundation. As a unified voice on issues of importance to Italian Americans, the Foundation builds relationships with key decision makers on behalf of the Italian American community and serves as a resource and thought leader for politicians, policy makers, and diplomats.
Past Intern Placements
Office confirmations are forthcoming and additional offices may be added while the application is open.
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT)
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO)
Rep. Doug LaMalfa (R-CA)
Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ)
Rep. Jimmy Panetta (D-CA)
Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA)
Rep. Thomas Souzzi (D-NY)
Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY)
Applicants will receive more information as to potential placements upon submission.Eligibility Requirements
In order to apply, a student must meet all the following requirements:
- Students must be members of the National Italian American Foundation. Not a member?
- Students must be a junior or senior in college, or in the first year out of college, at beginning of internship date.
- Students must have at least one Italian great-grandparent.
- Students must be able to commit 20-40 hours per week at the Congressional office and agree to abide by all of the sponsoring offices rules and regulations during their fellowship.
- Preference will be given to students who have never previously held an internship on Capitol Hill.
How To ApplyProvide Two
References3. Students must provide TWO references who are either current/former employers or supervisors or current/former professors. Please do NOT include family members.
Resume4. Students must email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
NIAF will only accept online applications.
Please note that NIAF cannot guarantee that Fellows will receive school credit for their fellowship. Fellows who are interested in receiving college credit should be in contact with their university career center and an academic advisor.
Application Opens: May 8th, 2023
Application Closes: May 31st, 2023
Resume Submission Deadline: May 31st, 2023, 11:59 pm