- Be enrolled in a US based institution of higher education on a full time basis for the Fall 2022 semester
- Be active in Italian issues through a leadership position in their university’s club or language society, or a major or minor in Italian or Italian American studies.
- Have Italian American ancestry. To be considered Italian American, the student must have at least one ancestor who has immigrated from Italy
- Have professor of Italian language or Italian/Italian American Studies, professor of language studies (Italian studies or Italian American studies), or department head submit a letter of recommendation on their behalf.
- Have an active NIAF Membership. Student may use their parent, guardian or grandparent’s membership.