The Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery Program is sponsored by the National Italian American Foundation. This all-expenses paid trip for Italian American students covers round-trip airfare between Italy and America, hotel, accommodations, museum visits, guides, meals and more.
Learn more about Ambassador Peter F. Secchia and
the history of the trip, HERE!
To strengthen the Italian American identity by bonding young Italian-Americans to the country, culture, and heritage of Italy; to help them gain an understanding of their heritage and a pride in preserving that heritage for the next generation; and to understand the historical significance of Italy and the current contribution Italy is making to the US and the world.
The trip also offers students the opportunity to perform community service in areas of need during their stay in Italy.
The 2020 trip itinerary will include educational tours, cultural attractions, service opportunities, meetings with government officials, business leaders and more.
Trip Date: May 26 – June 6, 2020
Trip Destination: NIAF’s 2020 Region of Honor
Application Opens: Monday, November 18, 2019
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 2, 2020, 11:59 p.m. PT
Applicants Notified: Monday, March 2, 2020, 5:00 p.m. PT via email
Applicant Acceptance Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2020, 5:00 p.m. PT via email
THE TRIP INCLUDES:
- Round-trip airfare between US and Italy
- Hotel accommodation (hotel accommodations are 2 to 3 same-gender participants to a room)
- All meals except where noted on the itinerary
- Private motor coach transfers
- 24-hour bilingual NIAF escort
- Tour guides
- Museum entrances
- Cultural excursions
THE TRIP DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Domestic flights to/from international departure city
- Items of a personal nature and spending money
- Meals not included in itinerary
- Trip insurance
- Students must attend a college/university full time for the semester preceding the trip (Spring 2020)
- Participants must be between the ages of 18-23 at the time of travel (Summer 2020)
- Students must be of Italian heritage
- Students must not have previously visited Italy
- Students must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien.
- Students must be members of the National Italian American Foundation. Not a member? Sign up here.
- Completed online application – Start your application here!
- Two DIFFERENT letters of recommendation on letterhead by a professor, coach, school official, mentor, or community leader
- Transcript from college/university
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Processing fee and deposit policy
Students Selected to Participate: Proof of student status and a $150 non-refundable processing fee and current credit card will be requested of only those students accepted into the program. Any non-refundable costs incurred by NIAF before or during the program will be charged to the student’s credit card. Additionally, any costs incurred due to violation of the “Code of Conduct” resulting in early termination of the student’s participation in the Voyage of Discovery program will be charged to the participant’s credit card.
Before travel, students will be required to purchase a student travel insurance.
Questions? CLICK HERE (pdf format)
Check out the 2019 Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery
students exploring NIAF’s Region of Honor, Molise here: http://niaf.tumblr.com