The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) awards scholarships to 60-70 outstanding students in a variety of academic disciplines for use during the following academic year. Scholarships range from $2,500-$12,000.
To be considered for a NIAF scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of NIAF or have a parent, guardian or grandparent who is a member of NIAF. Not a member? Visit our membership page to join or renew your membership today!
- Be enrolled in a US accredited institution of higher education for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Have a grade-point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Some scholarships require a lower GPA requirement for eligibility. Students that are a part of a pass-fail system are also welcome to apply.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien.
- For the purposes of the NIAF Scholarship Program, to be considered “Italian American,” the student must have at least one ancestor who has immigrated from Italy.
All NIAF scholarships have additional eligibility requirements. CLICK HERE to review available NIAF scholarships to identify your scholarships of interest and learn about any special/additional requirements needed to be eligible for the scholarships.
Each scholarship award can only cover tuition and university-provided room and board. Scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support. Scholarship monies not used during one academic year are not transferable to the following academic year. Scholarship applicants and winners can and are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years.
|2019-2020 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINES:|
|Applications: March 1, 2019 11:59 pm EST|
|Supporting Documents: March 1, 2019 11:59 pm EST|
|Letter of Recommendation: March 1, 2019 11:59 pm EST|
|IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2019-2020:|
|Decision Notification: Monday May 6th, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST|
Basic Application Requirements
The National Italian American Foundation requires the following basic requirements for the application to be considered “complete” and eligible for consideration. Please note that the NIAF Scholarship Application is done entirely online. All documents relating to scholarship applications must be uploaded directly to the application. No hard copies will be accepted.
- An active NIAF membership either in the name of the applicant, a parent/guardian or a grandparent
- Completed Online Application form
- Recent transcript(s) (either official or unofficial)
- (1) Letter of Recommendation
- Students applying for need-based scholarships will be required to upload their FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
All requirements including recommendation letters and other supporting documents must be uploaded to your application by March 1, 2019 at 11:59 pm EST. For step by step instructions on how to complete your application, CLICK HERE. To begin your application, visit https://niaf.communityforce.com/.
For questions on how to apply for a scholarship, please refer to our CLICK HERE.
No immediate family members of the NIAF Board of Directors, Regional Vice-Presidents, Area Coordinators or staff are eligible for NIAF scholarships.