NIAF brings to you Italian and Italian American virtual tours, shows, podcasts, performances and films all for free to the comfort and convenience of your own home.
Tours of Landmarks & Cultural Sites
- Rome by Foot: A Virtual 4 Kilometer Walking Tour
- Baths of Caracalla in Rome
- Caserta, tour the town in Campania as well as the Caserta Royal Palace
- Italian cities – a one-stop-shop for famous sites in cities across Italy from Milan to Palermo
- Pompeii’s top attractions
- Pompeii & Vesuvius bird’s eye view with il Corriere della Sera
- Trajan’s Market
Tours of Museums & Exhibits
Based in Italy:
- Raphael Exhibit at the Quirinale in Rome
- Vatican Museums
- Uffizi Gallery
- To mark the 700th anniversary of Dante’s death, the Uffizi Gallery has a new virtual exhibit of 88 rarely seen drawings of the Italian poet’s “Divine Comedy.”
- Ara Pacis
- Capitoline Museums
- Museo Capodimonte in Naples
- Pinacoteca di Brera
Based in America:
- Heinz History Center: Italian American Program
- National Gallery of Art’s Raphael and His Circle Exhibit
- Italian American Museum in Los Angeles (IAMLA) made its photographic collection accessible online.
- Una Storia Segreta: When Italian Americans Were “Enemy Aliens” exhibit at the Museo Italo Americano in San Francisco, provides access to facts about Italian American restriction, internment and evacuation during World War II.
The Russo Brothers Italian American Film Forum offers three years of grant recipients’ short films about the Italian American experience.
Available on Netflix (Film and Shows) in Italian:
The Life Ahead, starring Sophia Loren and directed by her son Edoardo Ponti
Available on HBO:
My Brilliant Friend
Available on Amazon:
America’s Last Little Italy: The Hill
- We the ItaliaNews is produced from Italy during coronavirus times, by Umberto Mucci of We the Italians.
- Check out Eat Your Heartland Out podcast, dedicated to highlighting the rich, yet often overlooked, culinary depth of the American Midwest by NIAF Board Member The Hon. Capri S. Cafaro
- Be well-versed in all things Italian American with the Italian American Podcast.
- Erica Firpo interviews Italy’s 21st-century creators, from artists and heritage brands to chefs and innovators, on her weekly podcast Ciao Bella.
- At the Table with Tony explores Italian American culture and cuisine and interviews people who know it best.
- Flavor of Italy Podcast is all about Italian food & culture
Virtual Events & Performances
- NIAF Virtual Events: Since May 2020, NIAF has hosted more than a dozen webinars about dual citizenship, genealogy, Italian language and culture, history and more—some free while others for a fee to support the Foundation. Check out past recordings and upcoming webinars you can register for now!
- Deana Marin LIVE! – a live performance Facebook every Friday at 4PM Eastern / 1PM Pacific
- Tintoretto’s Portraits: Learn more about Venetian artist Jacopo Tintoretto’s portraits in this virtual lecture by Frederick Ilchman, Save Venice Chairman and Chair, Art of Europe at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Carla Gambescia, author of La Dolce Vita University, and others through the Westchester Italian Cultural Center are offering webinars covering various topics related to Italy! Some webinars are free while others cost $10. If you are interested in a free webinar, please know that you still must register!
- Amy Riolo is hosting weekly events covering everything you’re curious to know involving food. From how to write your own cookbook to the new world the restaurant industry is facing. Amy Riolo is an award-winning, best-selling author, chef, television personality, and Mediterranean diet advocate. Announcements for this events can be found on her Instagram profile.
- Andrea Bocelli’s Music for Hope event at the Duomo di Milano from Easter Sunday. His page includes the lyrics to the music he sang so you can sing along when you re-watch his moving performance.
- Giada Valenti hosts a daily show including musical performances and guests interviews live every day at 5 p.m. EST.
- The Table Less Traveled, a small culinary tour operator specializing in Italy is offering live, interactive, donation-based cooking classes to support chefs in Italy, whose income is in peril. Classes are limited to 12 people and can be done in English or private ups can request a class in Italian. Make ravioli, limoncello cake, risotti while interacting with family and friends and a local Italian chef. It’s fun and educational and provides financial support to the chefs.
Opera & Ballet
- Experience a selection of operas performed at Teatro la Fenice, the famous opera house in Venice.
- Teatro di San Carlo in Naples is showcasing opera and ballet.
- Mary Ann Eposito’s Ciao Italia Blog covers regional, seasonal and just plain delicious recipes and how-to cooking videos.
- Rossella Rago’s Cooking with Nonna show on YouTube and live on Facebook.
Check out the Instagram pages of these famed Italian American chefs and watch them cook up some great dishes:
- Valerie Bertinelli
- Scott Conant
- Giada DeLaurentiis
- Alex Guanaschelli
- Michael Symon
- Michele Di Pietro
- Lidia Bastianich
The Table Less Traveled, a small culinary tour operator specializing in Italy is offering live, interactive, donation-based cooking classes to support chefs in Italy, whose income is in peril. Classes are limited to 12 people and can be done in English or private ups can request a class in Italian. Make ravioli, limoncello cake, risotti while interacting with family and friends and a local Italian chef. It’s fun and educational and provides financial support to the chefs.