Send to a Friend Printer Friendly
Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Calendars  Log Out

About Teaching in US School System

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Teachers] >> Certification >> About Teaching in US School System Page: [1]
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About Teaching in US School System - 3/21/2008 6:15:02 PM   


Posts: 1
Joined: 3/21/2008
Status: offline
Dear All,
I am also a teacher of Italian studies here in Italy, in private and public schools.
As I'd love to do that in US, stated my profound passion for American culture and social system, I am asking you what I should have as requirements or certifications to be eligible for that.

I asked for that somewhere and, first of all, it seems my first if not only problem is the work permit or similar (green card, and so on). I do not have it yet of course, but as I am thinking about living and working in US hopefully in a permanent way, I am ready to pursue any kind of procedures to get it some day.

But is that really necessary? I mean: if some schools really want me as a teacher, for my background n Italian studies or sort of, wouldnt this make the procedure faster?

Please, let me have some clear and ultimate explanations... about, again, public and private schools of any grades (from kids to college).

Roberto Donati (Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy)
Post #: 1
RE: About Teaching in US School System - 3/21/2008 8:28:24 PM   


Posts: 5
Joined: 1/21/2008
Status: offline
Dear Roberto,
I have been an Italian teacher in New York for many years and I would like to respond to your email. Firstly you should know that It is VERY difficult to get a green card here in the US. Really the only way to do it is to wait if they offer a lottery or perhaps marry an American. Even after marriage it takes a while to receive. In addition, I highly doubt that there would be a US school that would sponsor an Italian citizen to teach Italian because there is already a sufficient pool of american citizens here who are certified to teach Italian. 
To become a teacher of Italian here in the US the public schools usually require that you have their State Certification (each state has their own certification process). Private schools are different because they do not require the certification so it may be "easier" to find employment in a private school, but generally you still need your working visa. They also generally pay less than public schools. You may want to consult some of the Employment agencies (they are also called "Head Hunters") that recruit teachers strictly for private schools. They may be able to give you more information about private schools that would or would not sponsor a work visa. I know that one of them is called Carney Sandoe and Associates.   However, very few private schools offer Italian in their curriculum. The main foreign languages taught in the US are Spanish and French and most recently their has been a huge interest in Mandarin Chinese.  Many Parochial (Catholic) Schools offer Italian in cities such as New York, Chicago and San Francisco. Try contacting the Archdioses of those cities. But again, the issue of the work visa will come into play. Another avenue you might want to look at is the Fullbright
Teacher Exchange - a non-for-profit foundation that promotes many international educational programs.
Good luck to you!

(in reply to lozissou)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Teachers] >> Certification >> About Teaching in US School System Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode