Personal Information Defined
NIAF defines “Personal Information” as any information that alone, or when in combination with other information, may be used to readily identify, contact, or locate you. This may include: name, address, email address, or phone number. NIAF does not define Personal Information as information that has been anonymized so that it does not allow a third party to easily identify a specific individual.
Information You Provide
NIAF may ask you to provide us with Personal Information if you would like to participate in activities available on, or benefit from services offered on, this website and its affiliated subdomains and social media platforms. Through the use of online forms, we may collect this information to help provide you with NIAF services and respond to your requests.
If you choose to make a donation, purchase a NIAF membership, or engage in other activities that requires payment on NIAF’s website, we may also ask for information required for billing and shipment, such as your credit card number, card verification code, billing address, phone number, and email address. NIAF will not share or sell a donor’s or member’s personal information with anyone else, nor send donor mailings or emails on behalf of other organizations. This policy is applicable to both online and offline donors.
If you would like to post comments to our blog, you may log in with your log-in credentials from other websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Google, or Yahoo!. When you log in by using one of these other social media platforms, we may collect Personal Information from these websites. For example, when you log in with your Facebook account, we may collect the Personal Information you have made available to the public on Facebook, such as your name and profile picture. We may also obtain other information with your permission, such as your email address. The information we obtain may depend on your own privacy settings with the other websites.
NIAF may collect Personal Information through your communications with our fundraising, donor relations, and communications teams. We try to limit our requests for Personal Information to information we believe is necessary to achieve our stated collection purposes and mission.
We track website usage data to improve our website. We collect user traffic patterns throughout our website using features such as cookies. This information is collected to help improve website flow and usability. Additionally, when we send emails to our members and supporters, we track information on clicks-through to our website. This is done in order to gauge the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns and to discourage fraudulent use.
Our Usage of Personal Information
We use Personal Information as described above, and also for internal and service-related purposes, in the following contexts:
- To advance NIAF’s mission as an educational nonprofit organization, including providing information that may be of interest to our members, supporters, and followers.
- To conduct research and analysis to improve our website and thereby advance our outreach efforts.
- To notify members, supporters, and followers of news updates and developments of NIAF, special offers, and other NIAF offerings and products.
- To contact you in response to requests for information, such as requests made through the “Contact Us” page of our web site or in any direct messaging functions on NIAF’s social media platforms.
Upon termination of your NIAF Membership, or after unsubscribing from NIAF email subscriptions, your personal information will be removed from our system.
How your Personal Information is stored
NIAF only retains personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the above purposes or as permitted or required by applicable law. NIAF uses standard measures to protect all information that is stored on our servers and within our database. NIAF limits access to this information to those employees who need access to this information to perform their job function.
However, data transmissions over the internet cannot be guaranteed to always be completely secure. As such, NIAF cannot ensure or warrant that the information you provide us will never be accessed by an outside breach. If NIAF learns of a security systems breach, we may notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps.
If you have any questions about the security of our website, please contact us at email@example.com.
Affiliated Websites, Other Websites, and Advertisements
If you willingly provide NIAF with your contact information and/or email address on our website, we will send notices from time to time to your inbox based on the type of form you used to submit your Personal Information.
NIAF sends out monthly newsletters (“e-notizie”) to all members and email subscribers. These newsletters were created to ensure we provide the best possible service to our Italian and Italian American communities. Subscribing to our newsletter also automatically puts you on our regular mailing list, which shares occasional updates (i.e. promotions, offers, fundraising campaigns) or organization-wide announcements to our community. We never share our subscriber lists with third parties or outside entities, so all subscriber Personal Information is kept confidential to NIAF’s internal team. As stated above, NIAF limits access to this information to only those employees who need access to this information to perform their job function
You can unsubscribe from our newsletters by updating your preferences by clicking on the appropriate link in the footer of any email you receive from NIAF.
If you would like to subscribe to our newsletter, click here.
International visitors and members
This website is hosted in the United States. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws that govern data collection which may differ from those in the U.S., please be aware that you are transferring your personal data to the United States, where data protection laws may vary.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), effective as of May 25, 2018, GDPR stipulations only apply when personal data is collected from an individual person who is located in an EU country at the time the data is collected, regardless of that individual’s citizenship.
Your rights under the GDPR include the right to:
- Request confirmation from NIAF on whether or not your Personal Information is being collected, stored, used, and where and how that is taking place.
- Request a copy of your data that is in NIAF’s system, including information provided to us by you, which was collected with your consent (i.e., online forms) or through anonymous data collection functions, such as website cookies.
- Request that NIAF correct or complete your Personal Information where it is inaccurate or incomplete for the purpose of our records.
- Request that NIAF erase your personal data in the following circumstances: the Personal Information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it is stored; you withdraw your consent and there is no other legal ground for the storage of the information; your Personal Information has been unlawfully obtained; or the erasure is necessary in order to comply with a relevant legal obligation that applies to NIAF.
- Request that NIAF restrict the collection and storage of your Personal Information in the following circumstances: you contest the accuracy of the Personal Information; the collection and storage of your Personal Information is unlawful, but you would like to request restriction rather than full erasure of the information; NIAF no longer needs the data, but it is required by you in respect of legal claims; you have objected to the collection and storage of your Personal Information, until NIAF may verify that there are legitimate purposes that justify such collection and storage; object to any collection and storage that is based on NIAF’s, or a third party’s legitimate interests, after which NIAF will suspend collecting and storing information until we demonstrate legitimate purposes that justify that collection and storage.
NIAF will comply with any valid request for information under the rights explained above within 30 days, though we may provide extensions to this deadline when necessary, due to the potential complexity of GDPR stipulations and the number of requests.