The Frank J. Guarini Public Policy Forum on Capitol Hill is a signature program of the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) that assembles prestigious nationally and internationally known leaders to address significant policy issues. The forum has addressed vital issues including global terrorism, civil liberties, the economy and markets, foreign policy and national defense, healthcare, Social Security, Medicare reform and education. These forums are typically held on Capitol Hill with the cooperation of the Italian American Congressional Delegation (IACD) and its co-chairs, Representatives Pat Tiberi (OH) and Bill Pascrell (NJ).
This program was founded in 2004 and endowed by the honorable Frank J. Guarini, former Member of Congress from New Jersey and NIAF Chairman Emeritus. It has featured the nation’s foremost speakers and has provided a venue for an open exchange of ideas and an opportunity for a diverse array of perspectives to be heard.
Recent Keynote Speakers of the Frank J. Guarini Public Policy Forum include:
- Samuel Alito, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice
- Silvio Berlusconi, former Prime Minister of Italy
- Ben Bernanke, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve
- Claudio Bisogniero, Italian Ambassador to the United States
- Giovanni Castellaneta, former Italian Ambassador to the United States
- Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health
- David Ferriero, 10th Archivist of the United States
- Louis Freeh, former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Rudolph Giuliani, former Mayor of New York City
- Alan Greenspan, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve
- Letizia Moratti, former Mayor of the City of Milan
- Raymond Odierno, 38th Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army
- Mike Oxley, former Vice Chairman of NASDAQ, former Member of Congress
- Frank Pallone, Member of Congress, New Jersey
- Bill Pascrell, Member of Congress, New Jersey
- Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, California
- John Podesta, Chair of the Center for American Progress
- Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice
- Pat Tiberi, Member of Congress, Ohio
- Anthony Zinni, General and former U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East
NIAF uses these forums to educate and contribute to public discourse on policy issues affecting Italian Americans and the nation as a whole. NIAF does not have a legislative agenda and does not endorse or oppose the positions of any of the speakers.