The Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery Program is sponsored by the National Italian American Foundation. This all-expenses paid trip for Italian American students covers round-trip airfare between Italy and America and two weeks of programs.
2014 Voyage of Discovery Students
To strengthen the Italian American identity by bonding young Italian-Americans to the country, culture, and heritage of Italy; to help them gain an understanding of their heritage and a pride in preserving that heritage for the next generation; and to understand the historical significance of Italy and the current contribution Italy is making to the US and the world.
The trip also offers students the opportunity to perform community service in areas of need during their stay in Italy.
The 2016 trip itinerary will include educational lectures, service opportunities, meetings with government officials, business leaders and visits to government offices, international businesses, museums and other cultural attractions.
Trip Date: June 9 – 23, 2016
Trip Destination: NIAF’s 2016 Region of Honor
Questions? View our FAQ (pdf format)
- Students must be members of the National Italian American Foundation. Not a member? Sign up here.
- Participants must be between the ages of 18-23 at the time of travel (Summer 2016)
- Students must attend a college/university full time for the semester preceding the trip (Spring 2016)
- Students must be of Italian heritage
- Students must not have previously visited Italy (after the age of 12)
- Students must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien.
- Eligible students will be asked to participate in a Skype interview
Application Status: CLOSED
Deadline to Apply: January 31, 2016, 11:59 pm EST
Date of Notification for all applicants: Monday, February 29, 2016
Participant Acceptance Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2016
THE TRIP INCLUDES:
- Round-trip airfare between US and Italy
- Hotel accommodation (hotel accommodations are 2/3 same-gender participants to a room)
- All meals except where noted on the itinerary
- Motorcoach transfers
- Escorts and tour guides
THE TRIP DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Domestic flights to/from international departure city
- Items of a personal nature and spending money
- Meals not included in itinerary
- Purchase of International Student Identity Cards
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Processing fee and deposit policy
Students Selected to Participate: Proof of student status and a $150 non-refundable processing fee and current credit card will be requested of only those students accepted into the program. Any non-refundable costs incurred by NIAF before or during the program will be charged to the student’s credit card. Additionally, any costs incurred due to violation of the “Code of Conduct” resulting in early termination of the student’s participation in the Voyage of Discovery program will be charged to the participant’s credit card.
Before travel, students will be required to purchase a student travel insurance policy for 9-15 days coverage for the duration of the Voyage of Discovery program. The standard program-international travel policy includes medical expense coverage for a covered sickness or injury occurring while traveling plus coverage for terrorist incidents and financial defaults.
View sample itineraries from previous years:
- View the 2015 itinerary
- View the 2014 itinerary
- View the 2013 itinerary
- View the 2012 itinerary
- View the 2011 itinerary
- View the 2010 itinerary
- View the 2009 itinerary
Take a glimpse into previous year’s trips by checking out the official Voyage of Discovery Tumblr page!
IMPORTANT: NIAF will only accept online applications (no exceptions).