The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) awards scholarships summer to 60-70 outstanding students in a variety of academic disciplines for use during the following academic year. Scholarships range from $2,500-$12,000.
To be considered for a NIAF scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- • Be a member of NIAF or have a parent, grandparent or guardian who is a member of NIAF. Not a member? Visit our membership page to join or renew your membership today!
- Be enrolled in a US accredited institution of higher education for the Fall 2017 semester.
- Have a grade-point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Some scholarships require a lower GPA requirement for eligibility. Students that are a part of a pass fail system are also welcome to apply.
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien.
- For the purposes of the NIAF Scholarship Program, to be considered “Italian American,” the student must have at least one ancestor who has immigrated from Italy
Some scholarships have additional eligibility requirements. CLICK HERE to review available NIAF scholarships to identify your scholarships of interest and learn about any special/additional requirements needed to be eligible for the scholarships.
Each scholarship award can only cover tuition and university-provided room and board. Scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support. Scholarship monies not used during one academic year are not transferable to the following academic year. Scholarship applicants and winners can and are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years.
|Applications: March 1, 2017 11:59 pm EST|
|Supporting Documents: March 1, 2017 11:59 pm EST|
|Decision Notification: Monday May 8th, 2016|
Basic Application Requirements
The National Italian American Foundation requires the following basic requirements for the application to be considered “complete” and eligible for consideration.
- An active NIAF membership either in the name of the applicant or a parent/guardian
- Completed Online Application form
- Recent transcript(s) (either official or unofficial)
- (1) Letter of Recommendation
- Students applying for need-based scholarships will be required to upload their FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
All requirements including recommendation letters and other supporting documents must be uploaded to your application by March 1, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST. For step by step instructions on how to complete your application, CLICK HERE. Visit our Award Spring page to begin your application.
No immediate family members of the NIAF Board of Directors, Regional Vice-Presidents, Area Coordinators or staff are eligible for NIAF scholarships.