ItalTalk
NIAF
Send to a Friend Printer Friendly
  NIAF FORUMS
Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Calendars  Log Out

Please support a petition to reinstate foreign languages in Connecticut's high schools

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Academia] >> Class Curriculum >> Please support a petition to reinstate foreign languages in Connecticut's high schools Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please support a petition to reinstate foreign language... - 1/26/2009 11:01:35 AM   
Michele

Recently an ad hoc committee governed by Connecticut's Commissioner of Education removed the two year foreign language high school graduation requirement proposed in the CT Department of Education's: A Superior Education for Connecticut's 21st Century Learners: Five-Year Comprehensive Plan for Education 2006-2011 <http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/site/default.asp> document. In addition, the ad hoc committee increased the number of math and science credits required for graduation. This combination will have serious consequences for all K-16 language programs in our state. With serious budget cuts ahead and an impossibly full and inflexible high school curriculum, students will find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, with this revised plan, to take languages in high school.

Our state's language organization, CT COLT, is spearheading an online petition to reinstate the foreign language high school graduation requirement. The petitions will be delivered to the Connecticut General Assembly's Education Committee. If you have not already done so, would you please consider signing our petition? Since you all work in Connecticut you may list Connecticut as your state in the petition. My sincere thanks to all of you who have already signed this petition. In less than 48 hours we already have 87 signatures. Please do share this petition with anyone you know who lives and/or works in Connecticut whom you believe would support our efforts, be they your colleagues, neighbors or friends.

Here is the link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/languages4life

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Academia] >> Class Curriculum >> Please support a petition to reinstate foreign languages in Connecticut's high schools Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 Unicode